CEPT Practice B2 Level Extended Listening about a woman's work as a music teacher

 


You will hear Leonie Steiner talking to an interviewer about her work as a music teacher in a school.

1 Leonie first starting learning the piano

A with a relative.

B at primary school.

C with a private teacher.


2 Leonie started giving music lessons

A for the pleasure of seeing others learn.

B because she needed some extra money.

C to see if she was suited to teaching.


3 Leonie most likes to teach students who

A have great natural talent at an early age.

B need good teaching to develop their talent.

C have previously been taught badly.


4 Leonie thinks that schools should
A employ far more music teachers.
B buy good musical instruments.
C ensure that all their pupils pass music exams.

5 Leonie thinks the problem with singing in schools is that
A many students are too embarrassed to sing.
B few students want to learn how to sing.
C singing is not often taught in them nowadays.

6 Leonie believes her success as a music teacher is a result of
A choosing a particular age group of children to teach.
B the training she received as a student teacher.
C a natural ability to communicate with young people.

c
h
e
c
k

y
o
u
r

a
n
s
w
e
r
s

Audioscript
Interviewer: I have with me Leonie Steiner, who's had a
distinguished career both as a pianist and as a music teacher.
Leonie, who was your first-ever piano teacher?
Leonie: There's a long piano-playing tradition in my family
and from a very early age I was keen to start playing. In earlier
generations fathers and mothers had taught daughters and sons,
but both of mine were working full-time, so from the beginning
they had me taught at home by a tutor. That would have
been shortly before my first year at primary school, where I also
had lessons.

Interviewer: And when did you actually start giving lessons?
Leonie: In my late teens, by which time I was giving solo
performances. Some professional musicians give private classes
to make enough to live on, or perhaps to find out whether they
Would make good teachers, but for me it was never a conscious
decision to become a teacher. I'd always enjoyed working
with younger students. doing what I could to help them develop
as musicians. and without realising it I was becoming a teacher.
And ever since then, that- together with performing - is what I've
done.

Interviewer: And what kind of students do you prefer?
Leonie: I'd say (26) those who perhaps aren't naturally brilliant.
but respond well to intensive teaching and go on to become top
performers. More so than those who seem to have been born
to play at the highest level, or students who've been taught the
wrong way and need to get rid of bad musical habits. That can
be hard work for both pupil and teacher.

Interviewer: And what do you think of the standard of music
education in our schools nowadays?
Leonie: It varies widely. I get the Impression there's been a
general shift away from putting pressure on students to achieve
exam success to a more skills-based approach, and I think that's
to be welcomed. The media sometimes talk about a shortage
of qualified music teachers but I'm not convinced. I'd say
there's a much greater need to invest in new pianos. violins and
so on. ensuring they're top quality so that students really like the
sound they make. Because the key to success is making sure
pupils enjoy their music lessons, both in terms of playing and
singing.

Interviewer: Do school music lessons normally include singing
these days?
Leonie: In the majority of cases they still do, and it's generally
popular among pupils, but a lot of them are afraid of doing
so in public because of what other people mav say or think.
That's a great pity, I think, and if a child wants to sing, I feel
strongly that they should always be encouraged to do so.

Interviewer: You're very highly regarded by your ex-students,
many of whom have gone on to have successful careers. What
do you think has made you such a good teacher?
Leonie: Well, if that's true it probably has something to
do with the fact I've always found it easy to get on with those
of a different generation, whether they're at primary school,
secondary school or university. In that respect I don't think I
would've benefited from actually being trained at college as a
music teacher.

Interviewer: Looking back over your career, what big decisions
have you had to make?
Leonie: Well, in my late thirties J wondered whether I'd still have
the energy needed to keep doing lessons as I got older, but once
into my forties I found that wasn't an issue. Also around then,
I was offered the position of assistant head. and I had to
think carefully about that because I would've been on a much
l:!lgher salary. but in the end I said 'no'. It would also have
meant I had less time for doing lessons, and for performing. My
response to an offer of work In another country was the same,
though I found it much easier to make up my mind about that
one. I've never regretted staying here.

Interviewer: Thank you Leonie.

1 C 
2 A 
3 B
4 B 
5 A 
6 C

3 comments:

  1. My name is Stephanie Janet .This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help PRIEST OSAS has rendered to me by helping me get my ex husband back with his magic and love spell. i was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across PRIEST OSAS email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. I explained my situation to him and then sought his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here I am now celebrating because my Husband has changed totally for good. He always wants to be by me and can not do anything without my present. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will keep on testifying on the internet because PRIEST OSAS  is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT PRIEST OSAS NOW VIA EMAIL:Unsurpassed.solution@gmail.com or call WhatsApp +1(419) 359-4367  He is the only answer to your problem and make you feel happy in your relationship
    https://unsurpassedsolution.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don’t know the right words to express my gratitude to this great man Dr. Erayo, After been diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. i was given so many health prescription and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until i found testimonies of Great Dr. Erayo online research and on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did and he opened up to me and told me what was involved and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, I was cured from herpes by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that herpes can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I'm truly grateful, i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support. You can reach him via email; drerayoherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy and fast communication you can also call or add him on whatsapp with this mobile number +2348151937428. one thing i love most about Dr Erayo is honesty, and he is very polite with his patients, everything he told me was what he did, and his herbal medicine are very affordable.
    He also cure the below listed sickness;
    (1) HPV,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA
    https://alternativeherbs.weebly.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp2m-_EHnCRQT4gYYTQWtg
    https://rb.gy/yuofn6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. ucdm videos

    ReplyDelete

CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST DEMO WITH ANSWER KEY || CEPT DEMO WITH ANSWER KEY AND AUDIO SCRIPT

  Part 1 - LISTENING LISTEN AND SELECT ( Short listening – text answer ) For this question, choose the correct answer . Read the questio...